TORTA DI CIOCCOLATA
- 400g of darkest, best chocolate, broken into pieces
- 250g of unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 4 tbsp of caster sugar
- 125g of almond meal
- 125g of plain flour
- 1tsp of baking powder
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Butter for greasing
125ml of thickend cream
125 ml of dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven 160C.
- Rub butter and base line a 23cm/9 inches cake tin.
- Place the butter and the chocolate in a small saucepan and melt it over a large saucepan of simmering water (bain-marie method). Add the vanilla.
- Beat the sugar and the eggs until light and fluffy which should be about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Sieve the almond meal and flour.
- Fold the baking powder, flour and almond meal into the egg mixture and finally the chocolate mixture.
- Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 45 minutes or until cooked tested with a skewer.
- Cool the cake in the tin.
- For the glaze heat the cream and once almost boiling mix the chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Once the cake is cool spread the cake with the glaze.