POLLO ALLA PEPERONATA
- 4 red or yellow capsicums
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions
- 1 tbsp of finely minced rosemary
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 chicken 1.5kg cut into pieces
- 50g of unsalted butter for sealing the chicken
- 400g of diced can tomatoes
- Bouquet garni: parsley, celery leaves, rosemary, bay leaves tied with cotton twine.
- ½ cup of fresh stock
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the capsicums into thin lengthwise strips and place it in a large skillet pan with 2 tbsp of oil and cook covered, over very low heat, stirring from time to time, until soft and glazed, about 15 minutes.
- Slice the onions in half lengthwise.
- Place each half cut side down and cut crosswise into very thin slices.
- Place them into another skillet pan and add 2 tbsp of oil, sugar, rosemary and salt.
- Cook uncovered over very low heat stirring from time to time until they are glazed about 10 minutes.
- Seal the chicken by placing the butter into a frying pan. Once butter is melted and hot add the chicken pieces and brown them.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy casserole, add 1 spoon of olive oil, add the tomatoes and the herb bundle.
- Stir and let it simmer away for 5 minutes or so.
- Add now the chicken, stock, onions and capsicums and let it cook for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the herb bundle and add the balsamic.
- Let it cook for another minute or so.