PESTO DI MELANZANE
- 400g of trofie or any short pasta like farfalle
- 2 eggplants
- 1 garlic clove
- 100g of parmesan
- 1 hand full of basil
- 6 spoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
To prepare the eggplants:
- Traditionally as they do in Sicily place them under salt and let it rest for 30 minutes
- Then wash it, dry it and deep fry it with approximately a glass of extra virgin olive oil.
- Another option is to wash the eggplants and prick them all over. Then brush them with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place them in a hot oven 230C for about 35 minutes turning them around.
- Place them on a colander and cut them in half (if they are reasonably small) otherwise in 3 halves. Sprinkle with salt and let it rest for 30 minutes
To make the pesto:
- Place the garlic inside of the food processor together with basil.
- Blend it.
- Add now the eggplants, the oil and once all blended stir the parmesan.
- Cook the trofie all dente and mix with the pesto sauce.
- Never forget you do not add any extra oil to toss the pasta but dilute the pesto with water when mixing with the pasta.
- We normally do about 1 spoon of pesto for about 4 spoons of water.