Spinach and Ricotta Torta
(Torta salata con spinaci e ricotta)
If you prefer, you can use silver beet, or any other green leave vegetable.
- 2 bunches of Spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or as needed
- 3 cups of fresh ricotta
- 5 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk for egg wash
- 70g bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated grana padano
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- salt and pepper
- Extra Butter, extra flour
- 1 basic recipe for pastry for torta salata
- Rinse the spinach, then cut both the stems and leaves into ¼ inch ribbon. Heat 10 – 12 inch skillet over medium high heat and add the spinach, a tablespoon of water, and a generous pinch of salt, and cover, cooking until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Slice the garlic clove into thin pieces. In a sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil 1 tsp of butter and sauté the garlic. Add the spinach to the pan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Let it cool.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the ricotta, 5 eggs, 6 tablespoons bread crumbs, 6 tablespoons grana, oregano, spinach and salt and pepper to taste, and puree until smooth.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Roll out the dough into a 14 inch circle tin around ¼ inch thick.
- Make sure you have extra dough coming out from the tin, so you can cover some part of the torta( decoration ).Place the filling in the center of the tin, spread it gently. Bring now the remaining dough from the sides , and cover most of the sides of the tin leaving the center of the filling exposed. Sprinkle the filling with the remaining 2 tablespoons of grana and the remaining 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs, drizzle with olive oil.
- Brush the crust edges with the egg yolk and bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is a rich golden brown and the filling has slightly puffed. Let cool and serve warm or at a room temperature.